SketchUp with Linux
Sketchup for Linux would be great. This would ensure portability to future tech like netbooks and android phones.
There is still not a linux port for Google SketchUp though the stability and speed of linux is appreciable . So one should try to install it in Wine for a better result.
Given below some points which will help you to get sketchUp with wine.:
- ♦ SketchUp has some cad advantages, which other free 3d Linux software lack.
- ♦ SketchUp is easy to use and it provides a nice user interface (like Wings3d).
- ♦ It is very fast (like Wings3d), even under Wine.
- ♦ It has cad functionality like components, units, dimensions a.s.o.
- ♦ Ruby (great free programming/script language) plugins supported (Wings3d is not very plugin friendly).
- ♦ Write your own plugins with Ruby.
- ♦ There are a lot of free plugins out there to improve SketchUp. You can get cutlists, 2d views, drawing tools and more.
- ♦ Home version is free, like all great software.
|SketchUp 7 on Linux
|SketchUp Linux 3D Rendering
|SketchUp Linux Architecture
|Sketchup Mac Linux
If you are having problems running Sketchup on Linux, please file bugs at bugs.winehq.org. And if it just didn't work at all for you, please report that too.
SketchUp is a powerful yet easy to learn 3D software tool that combines a simple, yet robust tool-set with an intelligent drawing system that streamlines and simplifies 3D design. Installing SketchUp on Linux using Wine standard free edition is more than enough for any architectural designs. Process are-
- Download SketchUp free edition
- Install Wine
- Learn a little about Wine
- Edie Wine and to ensure SketchUp will function correctly
- Change the downloaded SketchUpWEN.exe file location
- Run SketchUp installer
- Configuring SketchUp
- Launching SketchUp
SketchUp works fine on Linux using Wine without the recorder, the speed of the application is far better. SketchUp for Linux they will add some simpler way to rotate around the model and you see Google SketchUp on Linux youtube video: